Smoked mackerel and bean salad
A quick and easy lunch packed full of flavour along with essential omega 3 fatty acids from the mackerel fillets and folate, fibre and a range of beneficial micronutrients from the beans. This travels well so makes a good packed lunch.
Smoked Mackerel and Mixed Bean Salad
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if you don't like it very hot)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets, broken into large flakes
- 200 g green beans trimmed and halved.
- 400 g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed. (or any other type of canned beans, eg butter beans or mixed)
- 1/2 small red onion
- 50 g feta, broken into large pieces
- 1 handful parsley, roughly chopped (could substitute with other herbs eg basil)
- 1 handful kalamata olives
- Cook the green beans in boiling water for about 3 minutes then drain and rinse with cool water to stop them cooking further.
- Toss all of the ingredients together in a large salad bowl ensuring everything is coated with the oil and lemon juice.